Thursday, 20 March 2014 10:45
Last week’s column ran the incorrect amount of buttermilk needed for the recipe. Please see the revised and corrected recipe below:
Makes 1-Pound Loaf
• 3 cups all purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/3 cup white sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and butter. Stir in 1 3/4 cup of buttermilk and egg.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead ever so slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. Cut an x into the top of the loaf.
4. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Continue to brush the loaf while it bakes.
5. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Check for doneness after 30 minutes.