Wednesday, 18 December 2013 00:00
The next regularly scheduled board of trustees meeting will be held at village hall and begins at 8 p.m.
Garden City Community Church School Christmas Pageant after the 10:30 a,m. service. The pageant is staged by the Sunday School with adorable actors in costume with music.
Six-hour course conducted by the AAA NY in the Garden City office located at 229 7th St. Save money; reduce violation points; sharpen skills. The cost is $39 for AAA members; $32 Plus/Premier members; $32 members 60 and older; $32 members 16-24 years old; $49 nonmembers; special group rates available. Dates and rates subject to change. Online class available. Visit AAA.com/DefensiveDriving. Reservations required. Call 516-873-2381. The following dates are offered:
December 21 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
December 22 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
December 28 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
January 5 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
January 7 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
January 11 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
January 13 & 14 - 6:15 to 9:15 p.m.
January 22 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
January 25 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
January 26 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
January 30 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
February 2 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
February 5 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
February 8 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
February 11 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
February 16 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
February 24 & 25 - 6:15 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
February 27 - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The A.T.Stewart Exchange Consignment Shop at 109 Eleventh St. in Garden City is looking for furniture to add to its inventory. The shop can use cocktail tables, end tables, consoles, chairs of all types, dressers, dining room tables, breakfronts, servers, secretaries, mirrors, etc….it’s all in demand. If you have a particularly large piece, take a picture and show it to Maryann Caterino at the shop (516-746-8900). Consignees are paid 50 percent of the selling price. There is ample parking and the shop is conveniently located on the lower level of The Garden City Historical Society Museum. All proceeds from the A.T.Stewart Consignment Shop go towards the maintenance and upkeep of the Garden City Historical Society Museum, an original 1872 A.T.Stewart era Apostle Victorian structure.
Franklin Hospital’s cancer support group meets in the former coffee shop at North Shore LIJ Franklin Hospital in Valley Stream. The group regularly meets the first Monday of every month from 2 to 4 p.m. It is open to all cancer survivors, including family members and is ideal for people who need someone to talk to about the illness. Discussions include new medicines and treatments, advice on how to cope and also provides emotional support. Additional information about the monthly meetings, or those seeking assistance and information concerning cancer are urged to contact group advisors Anna Rossetti at 516-256-6025 or Meg Wehrum, RN at 516-256-6478.
The Adelphi NY Statewide Breast Cancer program is offering new support groups. There is no cost for any group; however pre-registration is required. Additional groups are formed upon request, including groups for men with breast cancer and family members. All groups meet at Adelphi University School of Social Work in Garden City. For more information call Sandi Kafenbaum, LCSW, at 516-877-4314, or the Breast Cancer Hotline at 800-877-8077.
• Support group for women newly diagnosed with breast cancer will meet weekly for eight weeks from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
• Support group for women post treatment will meet weekly for eight weeks from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
• Support group for young women with breast cancer will meet weekly for eight weeks from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
• Support group for women with metastatic breast cancer will meet weekly for eight weeks from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.
• A telephone support group for women with breast cancer will be held weekly for eight weeks from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
If you’ve had breast cancer and want to pay it forward become a hotline volunteer. Women and men who are breast cancer survivors and others who are concerned about breast health issues can become volunteers at the Adelphi NY Statewide Breast Cancer Hotline & Support Program in Garden City. Volunteers can help by doing fundraising and publicity, as well as by answering hotline calls. Hotline volunteers provide emotional support, information and referral services to callers with breast health concerns. Although the program is housed on Long Island, hotline services and telephone counseling are available to callers throughout New York State. For more information call the Hotline at 1-800-877-8077.To reach the Hotline from anywhere in New York State, call 1-800-877-8077.
Stroke Life Society is a grassroots community organization of survivors and co-survivors in the pursuit of living and helping others. A stroke can be very isolating. By sharing experiences and encouraging one another, together we can face and overcome common challenges. All are welcome. RSVP is requested. For information and other locations and times, please call Ben at 516-398-4994. “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much”
• Every 1st Wednesday of the month at 11a.m. - St. Frances de Chantal, 1309 Wantagh Ave, Wantagh (Room 12)
• Every 2nd Monday of the month at 6 p.m. - The Church of St. Jude, 3606 Lufberry Ave, Wantagh
• Every 2nd Wednesday of the month at 1:30 p.m. - St. Gregory the Great, 242-20 88th Ave, Bellerose
• Every 3rd Friday of the Month at 2 p.m. - St Bernard Parish Center, 3100 Hempstead Tpke, Levittown
• Every 4th Monday of the Month at 6 p.m. - St. James Parish Center, 80 Hicksville Rd, Seaford (Room 104)
• Every 4th Wednesday of the month at 1 p.m. (with guest speaker)-William Bennett Community Center, 28 W. Carl St., Hicksville
• Every 4th Thursday of the month at 2 p.m. - Plainview Hospital, 888 Old Country Rd., Plainview Waldorf Choral Society’s 40th Anniversary Concert featuring Soloists, Chorus and Orchestra with George V. Rose’s conducting his final performance before his retirement
Clutterers Anonymous (CLA), a 12-step self-help group, offers help and support to those who have clutter problems in their homes or workplace. Meets every Thursday from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 265 Asbury Ave., in Westbury. There are no dues or fees. For more information, call 866-800-3881 or visit: www.ClutterersAnonymous.net.
Free vessel safety checks and more, from America’s Boating Club, the United States Power Squadrons. With squadrons across Long Island, there’s one near you. Visit: WeBoatSafe.org or call 1-800-341-8777 for more information.