Wednesday, 20 November 2013 09:19
The Hicksville High School Board of Education will have a meeting at the administration building at 8:30 p.m.
The Hicksville Water District’s bi-monthly public board meeting, originally scheduled for November 26, has been rescheduled to take place at 5 p.m. at 4 Dean Street in Hicksville. Future public board meetings will remain as scheduled. Visit www.hicksvillewater.org or call 516-931-0184 for more information.
Santa arrives at the Broadway Mall. There will be an annual arrival celebration with the Dance Dimensions Dancers of Hicksville in Center Court by Ikea.
Barbara Rosene and Her New Yorkers will be performing jazz and pop standards from the great American songbook at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, 130 Jerusalem Avenue in Hicksville at 7:30 p.m. Rosene, who tours with the Harry James Orchestra, will be accompanied by Conal Fowkes on piano, Andy Stein on violin, Bob Barta on banjo and guitar, and Pete Martinez on clarinet. Rosene taps this all-star lineup of musicians for an evening of early jazz melodies, swinging 30s-40s tunes and some more recent cool jazz songs. Admission is $25. For more information, call 516-931-1920.
Holy Trinity Diocesan High School is hosting a holiday craft fair from 10a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Come shop at over 100 vendors selling holiday crafts, and enjoy food, refreshments, a 50/50 raffle and Chinese auction. All proceeds go toward the school. For more information or to inquire about vendor opportunities, call 516-433-2900.
The Hicksville High School Marching Band will be holding a Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser at Applebees, 938 S. Broadway, Hicksville, from 8 to 10 a.m. Come down and support your local marching band and enjoy a delicious breakfast. $10 includes pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, and a beverage (coffee, juice, soda, or tea). Tickets may be purchased at the door.
Freaky Pets, a fun-filled family-friendly live musical performance will take place at the Broadway Mall. Free performances, which are filled with music and dancing, will take place at noon, 2:30 p.m., and 4:30 p.m. For more information visit www.freakypets.com.
The American Red Cross will be holding a blood drive in the Ikea Wing of the Broadway Mall from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information call 1-800-733-2767.
The Catholic Daughters Of St. Ignatius Loyola Parish at East Nicholai Street in Hicksville is hosting its annual Christmas Craft Fair from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Start your holiday shopping as over 50 vendors will be selling holiday crafts, home goods, jewelry and custom made craft items. There will also be a bake sale, 50/50 and basket raffles. Proceeds go toward Catholic Daughters charitable works. Handicapped Accessible. Free admission. For more information or to inquire about vendor opportunities, call 516-492-5070.
• Bible Study at Parkway Community Church, 95 Stewart Ave., Hicksville. Every Wednesday at 11 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. For more information call 516-938-1233 or go to www.parkwaychurch.org.
• Bible Studies conducted by the Cornerstone Christian Church of LI every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at 250 W. Old Country Rd., Country Bridge Plaza, (behind Antun’s Catering House; nearest cross road: Route 106). For more information call 516-342-1552 or go to www.cornerstonechristianchurchny.com.
• Mid Nassau Jewish Retirement Club meets every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Temple Emanuel 123 Merrick Ave., East Meadow. New members are welcome. Call Marty Fein 516-485-3171.
• Martial Arts America in Hicksville, 300 South Broadway, holds free Child Safety workshops on Saturdays. The free workshops are offered as part of the school’s monthly community service. For more information, visit www.MaaSchools.com or call 516-932-5275.
• Hicksville Homemakers business meeting from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the William Bennett Community Center, 28 W. Carl St. Come in and join the group and become a member. Classes held every Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Hicksville Mid-Island Seniors currently meets Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Bethpage Senior Community Center. The organization is open to seniors ages 62 and older and offers trips, games and more. Call Andy for more information at 516-349-7801.
• William M. Gouse Jr. Post #3211 VFW meeting at 7:30 p.m. at 320 S. Broadway. For information call 931-7843. Meetings are held every second and fourth Monday of each month.
• William M. Gouse Jr. Post #3211 VFW Ladies Auxiliary meets at 8 p.m. at 320 S. Broadway. Meetings are held every second Monday of the month.
• Board Of Fire Commissioners regular meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month except in the month of December when the meeting is held on the first Tuesday. Meetings start at 6:30 p.m. in the board room of the E. Marie St. Firehouse.
• Jewish War Veterans, Gieir-Levitt Post #655 invite all Jewish war veterans to join them at the Mid-Island Y JCC, 45 Manetto Hill Rd., Plainview, at 9 a.m. on the second Sunday of every month. Call Larry Sklar 942-3327.
• Order Sons Of Italy in America invites those interested to join the Galileo Galilei Lodge #2253 in Hicksville. The meetings are held on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at Wm. Bennett Community Building, 28 W. Carl St. Join by calling Marie Matassa 516-931-2843 for an application.
• Bethpage Masonic Lodge No. 975 Free And Accepted Masons will meet at 8 p.m. at the Hicksville Masonic Temple, 18 W. Nicholai St., Hicksville. For information call 731-2488. Meetings are every second and fourth Friday.
• The River Flows Coffee House, an evening of fellowship consisting of conversation, board games, music that rocks as well as coffee provided by Starbucks and cake are offered. Presented by The River of Life Church on the second Saturday of each month. A free will offering of $7 per adult is allocated to a “Free Lunch Buffet” and other church ministries. 15 W. Marie St. 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. Donations of nonperishable, prepackaged and canned foods and personal hygiene products are needed to provide aid for the poor or homeless and can be dropped off Sundays from 1 to 3 p.m. or by appointment. Call Pastor James Cohen 937-9226.
• Nassau County Aquarium Society meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the American Legion Hall, 66 Veterans Blvd., Massapequa. Free parking, free admission, guests welcome. Refreshments served. Junior members always welcome. Call Mike Foran 798-6766; Ken Smith 631-589-0913 or Brandie 631-473-4018.
• Korean War Veterans of NC Chapter #1 regular monthly meeting at 8 p.m. (1:30 p.m. during the winter months) at American Legion Post #1711, 3123 N. Jerusalem Rd., Levittown. The chapter meets on the third Monday of every month (except July and August). Call 334-1025.
• The LI Psoriasis Network Meetup Group will get together in the second floor In-Service Classroom of North Shore University Hospital at Plainview, 888 Old Country Rd., on the first Tuesday from 7 to 9 p.m. All are welcome. No cost. More information is available at http://psoriasis.meetup.com/24/
• NC Mothers Of Twins Club, a caring support, education and resource for parents of multiples. Meetings are at 7:30 p.m. at the Parkway Community Church, 95 Stewart Ave., on the third Tuesday of each month with the exception of July and December. Call 616-3366 or visit www.NCMOC.org.
• Alzheimer’s Support Group. Are you a caregiver who would like to share your experience with others? There is strength in knowing you are not alone. Join this support group at 7 p.m. on the third Tuesday of the month in the Adult Day Health Care Program Room at the Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 378 Syosset-Woodbury Rd., Woodbury. Call Sheldon Rybak, RCSW/ACSW 622-7770.
• Your Widows/Widowers Social Group, a nonsectarian, nonprofit organization of widows and widowers ages 50 to 70 years of age. Fee for members is $3, nonmembers $5. Meets at 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at St. Joseph’s Church, 5th St. and Franklin Ave., Garden City, on the third Wednesday of each month. Call Diana 481-9280. No meeting at the church during July and August.
• St. Bernard’s W/W Interfaith Organization. General meeting at 8 to 11 p.m. at the Elks Club, 2612 Veterans Blvd., Massapequa. All are invited. Meetings are held on the second Thursday of the month. For further information contact Chris 631-842-6734.
• Catholic War Veterans. All Catholics who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces are invited to attend the meeting of Joseph Barry Post No. 1946 of the Catholic War Veterans on the third Thursday of each month at 8 pm. at the Joseph Barry Knights of Columbus Council, 45 Heitz Pl. For information on joining call 433-5008.
• Perceptual Problems Affecting Reading/Learning. Free meetings about a little-known but common perceptual problem which affects the reading and learning capabilities of children and adults, as featured on 60 Minutes, are now being held at Perceptual Change Associates, 120 Bethpage Rd., Hicksville. Seating is limited for the twice monthly meetings being held on the first Friday and second Thursday of each month from 2 to 3 p.m. For reservations to learn more about this easily correctable perceptual problem call 822-4900.
• St. Bernard’s W/W Interfaith Organization Dance every fourth Friday at the Elks Club, Veterans Blvd., Massapequa, at 8 p.m. to midnight. $14. For further information contact call Chris 631-842-6734.
Safe Boating Courses, free vessel safety checks and more from America’s Boating Club, the United States Power Squadrons. With 18 squadrons around Long Island, there’s one near you. Visit WeBoatSafe.org or call 1-800-341-8777 for more information.
Located at 950 South Oyster Bay Rd., Hicksville. The following programs are offered:
• The Community Program has a group for senior citizens. The Golden Years is open to all people over 60 who are dealing with issues related to drugs or alcohol. This is an opportunity to talk confidentially with your peers as well as having the support and guidance of a skilled professional. Medicare and most other insurances are accepted. The Community Program is also a NYS DMV approved facility. For information about this or any other services call 822-4060.
• A support group for those who have family members with mental illness meets Mondays from 7 to 8 p.m. A nominal fee is charged. Therapeutic and supportive services to people hampered in their functioning by mental illness, psychological difficulties and/or substance abuse and addiction problems is provided. Among its services, the agency provides outpatient mental health services for children and adults living in Nassau County. The staff is comprised of psychiatrists, registered nurses and certified social workers. Call 516-822-6111.
• An outpatient substance abuse agency offering a Parenting Group. This group specializes in parenting issues for substance abusers. While drug use among teens has declined in other parts of the country, it continues to rise here in Nassau County. For information on this group as well as other services, call 516-822-4060. All inquiries are confidential.