Written by Rick Karas Friday, 11 January 2013 00:00
2013 has arrived and the New Hyde Park Village Board wasted no time getting back to business, with a major announcement to kick off the New Year.
The big news is who is leaving. Not leaving town, but stepping down.
Mayor Daniel Petruccio announced he will not be seeking a fourth term and will finish out his time as mayor at the end of March. Petruccio stressed that his health is fine, but that after 12 years, it’s time for a change.
“It’s not like I’m sitting here saying the work is done, I’m finished,” Petruccio said. “I just think it’s time for me to make some room for somebody with some fresh ideas, and it seemed to be the right time.”
Petruccio took office in 2001. He would have been the longest-tenured New Hyde Park mayor had he made a run at the post this coming March.
“I would like to say thank you for your service, it’s been for me a tremendous experience to serve with you and enjoy the benefit of your leadership,” said Trustee Lawrence Montreuil. “The mayor has always been open to everyone providing their points of view and putting their arguments across...a tremendous facilitator and leader in every sense of the word. Your presence will be missed.”
Come April, there will be a new mayor, but Petruccio put that aside for village business...for now.
Resident Bruce Hecht lives on Albert Street, and told the board that unruly kids are a continuing problem at neighboring Memorial Park. Even when the park is locked, littering and even urination is an issue there, he said.
The board agreed that police patrols need to be stepped up around the park, and that the matter would be discussed with local precincts.
The board also acknowledged the recent fatality on S. 12th Street, where a woman was killed trying to cross the railroad tracks on Monday, Dec. 31. Safety at railroad crossings and heeding the warning lights was once again the prevailing message.
In Other News
• There will be a public hearing for the tentative 2013-14 budget on Tuesday, April 2. Village Clerk Katherine Hillmann will be the budget officer.
• The annual Little League parade will be Saturday, April 6 at 10 a.m.
• Repaving work on Jericho Turnpike continues, and will include the sequencing of traffic lights to hopefully prevent backups during rush hour at certain intersections.
• The chamber of commerce officer installation will be held later this month.
• The Spotlight talent show will be held at Village Hall in the William Gill Theatre starting on Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. for ages 13-21, and Jan.13 at 2 p.m. for ages 12 and under.
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Saturday, 22 November 2014 00:00
Online food market OurHarvest has recently joined forces with Mineola-based Island Harvest Food Bank, Long Island’s largest hunger relief organization, to help feed hungry Long Islanders over Thanksgiving and throughout the holiday season.
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Friday, 21 November 2014 00:00
In the year it’s been open, the Space at Westbury has been host to musicians, comedians, dancers and last week, the venue opend its doors for world class boxers and their loyal fans. One of the headliners was Richie “Brazil” Neves, from New Hyde Park.
Winner Takes All Productions and Greg Cohen Promotions brought a night of boxing to the Space on Thursday, Nov. 13. While boxing events have come to Long Island before, this was the first of its kind to come to The Space.
Thursday, 20 November 2014 00:00
Despite a disappointing playoff loss against the Wantagh Warriors, Sewanhaka Indians Head Coach George Kasimatis, is pleased with his football team’s season.
“I’m proud of my team,” he said. “But you are never satisfied unless you win the whole thing.”
The Indians faced a big challenge this year, moving up into Conference II left them as the new kids on the block, unfamiliar with the teams they would be going against.
Kasimatis will have a tall task next year replacing graduating seniors, which made up most of his starting lineup. Kasimatis said most of the offensive line, such as Danny Gianotti, Adrian Gonzalez and Louis Segarra III, and the defensive line, such as Justin Alexandre, Peter LaTorre and Peter Militano are seniors, many of which have started multiple years for him.
Thursday, 13 November 2014 00:00
The fifth seeded Sewanhaka Indians traveled to Wantagh to take on the fourth seeded Wantagh Warriors on Friday, Nov. 7 for its opening playoff game.
The Indians opened the game sluggish on offense, and were held in check throughout the first quarter. The Indians defense did its best to keep the team within striking distance, but field position form shaky special teams play, put them in a difficult position.
Warriors running back Dylan Beckwith, was able to punch in a 15-yard touchdown run, to give the Warriors a one score lead after the first quarter.