Written by Adrienne Katz Friday, 12 March 2010 00:00
Recently, my son, and 10th-grade student at Herricks High School, Alex Benjamin Katz, saved the life of his father. He was able to perform this heroic act based on the skills he learned in the Sports Medicine class he took last semester from Mr. S. Borell in Herricks High School. As part of Mr. Borrells’ class, my son was certified by the American Red Cross for completing the requirements for CPR/AED. He was certified on February 3, 2010.
Alex acted quickly when his father got food lodged in his throat and was turning blue. Alex applied his skills and was able to dislodge the food. He applied CPR; and when my husband was breathing and swallowing again Alex applied a cold compress to the back of his father’s neck to make him more comfortable. This morning my husband is fine and went to work.