Friday, 22 March 2013 00:00
Bottom Line: If the vote fails twice, we must reduce the budget by $6.8 million.
1. Reduction of up to 14 FTE’s at the elementary level - $1.44 million reduction: elimination of one section at each grade level K-6 in both elementary schools, thus increasing class sizes, as shown on the projected elementary class-size slides #s 20 and 21 contained in the power point presentation on the district’s website at http://www.manhasset.k12.ny.us
2. Reduction of up to 14 FTE’s at the secondary level – $1.44 million reduction, i.e. this would translate into the elimination of up to 70 class sections across all subject areas - increasing class sizes, reducing student course options, and eliminating some course offerings.
3. Elimination of all interscholastic athletics at the middle school, JV and Varsity level–reduction of $2.0 million - very simply: No sports at all – Grades 7–12.
4. Elimination of all before- and after-school programs and activities K–12 – Reduction of up to $350,000. No clubs, elementary enrichment programs, or before- and after-school fine and performing arts.
5. Another $1.6 million or more would still have to be reduced throughout the remaining parts of the budget–including facilities, instructional technology, and personnel outside of teaching (clerical, custodial, administration, teaching assistants, supervisory aides, transportation, etc.)