Anton Community Newspapers  •  132 East 2nd Street  •  Mineola, NY 11501  •  Phone: 516-747-8282  •  FAX: 516-742-5867
Intended comprare kamagra senza ricetta company.
Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

No Arrests Made in Larceny Chase

Suspects Flee the Scene; Leaving a Four-Year Old in the Car Behind Them

No arrests have been made in a bizarre chase, one in which larceny suspects fled the scene of an accident, leaving a four-and-a-half year old child alone in their vehicle.

In what a Nassau County detective called “despicable behavior,” the entire incident occurred in Massapequa on Monday, Jan. 11 at 3:54 p.m. when a stolen vehicle struck a residence.

Detectives said that a Fifth Precinct Police officer, while on routine patrol in the parking lot of 941 Carmans Ave., attempted to stop a 2008 Hyundai stolen from New York City on Sept. 11, 2009.

The vehicle, detectives added, fled and headed southbound onto Carmans Road and attempted to make a left turn onto Northgate. However, the vehicle lost control, striking and damaging bushes before hitting the garage of the residence causing extensive damage. The occupants in the home were not injured.

Both the driver and the passenger of the vehicle then fled the scene through rear yards leaving a four-and-a-half year old female child behind in the back seat, detectives said.

At a Jan. 12 press conference, Det./Lt. Kevin Smith offered more information on the incident, where he blasted the suspects for behavior that he claimed put the life of the child in danger.

Smith said that the suspects are being described as black males in their 20s, one of whom was wearing sweat clothes.

After the vehicle struck the garage, the suspects escaped police by hopping over fences and running into various backyards in a residential neighborhood. Detectives, Smith said, employed K-9 dogs and helicopters in their pursuit of the suspects. Smith added that the child was found unstrapped in the back seat of the vehicle.

While the child was in the hospital, her father, grandmother and another person, “possibly” a great-grandmother, arrived on their own to meet her, Smith said. Representatives with the Child Protective Services also responded at the hospital. Smith said that “somewhere along the line” the child would be released. The girl’s mother, Smith said, is believed to be incarcerated in a county jail on DWI charges.

Detectives, Smith said, are currently interviewing family members. He said that the child knew at least one of the passengers in the front seat. When found by police, the child, Smith said, was upset, but not injured. The child was then admitted overnight to a local hospital for observation.

Smith said that during the chase, the suspects came close to striking pedestrians while “almost hitting a school bus.” Maintaining that the child’s life was in danger, Smith added that the suspects “couldn’t have cared less what happened” to the four-and-a-half year old.