Written by Massapequa Observer Staff, email@example.com Thursday, 03 October 2013 00:00
The Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association announced that its former president, former Massapequa resident Peter Masotto, will be inducted into the Region 1 Hall of Fame on October 19 in Portland, Maine.
This is the fourth Hall of Fame that Masotto is being inducted into, having previously become a member of the Hall of Fame of Eastern New York (1998), the Long Island Junior Soccer League (1999) and the East Hudson Youth Soccer League (2004). In addition, he received the rare double honor of being selected a Life Member of both Eastern New York and US Soccer in the same year (2006).
“I started coaching because of my two girls, Annmarie and Patricia,” Masotto said. “I did it for the love of the game and not for any recognition. I cannot believe all the ceremonies and honors I have received for my volunteering as a coach and administrator.”
Masotto has been an extraordinary presence in youth soccer for nearly 40 years, beginning in 1975. His service and accomplishments during his tenure are incomparable. His many achievements include:
• He served as an Eastern New York Youth Soccer board member for 27 years, the last 23 as President from 1984 to 2006. He oversaw the growth of our member leagues from a relatively modest state association to a robust organization of 125,000 youngsters.
• He started coaching in New York in 1975. Rising from a parent/coach to the US Soccer “B” License during a stellar coaching career, he led his teams to an amazing 18 state youth championships and two Under-20 titles.
• His Massapequa Falcons teams were Region 1 finalists eight times, capturing the title three times and the national championship in 1986. He returned to the national championship game when he coached the Northport Elite in the 1994 finals.
• He was named US Youth Soccer Women’s Coach of the Year twice in 1984 and 1997, a feat no other coach has achieved for either men or women.
• Beyond coaching club, high school and college while also holding numerous leadership positions at the state level, he also served for several years as a Region 1 girls staff coach.
• Beyond Eastern New York, Masotto was a long time member of the Region 1 and National Appeals Boards; a candidate for national office and US Soccer’s Ambassador to the Women’s National Team games in Australia during which he served as head of the US delegation and represented our country in meetings with his opposite numbers from other nations. Throughout his tenure he was known and respected across all regions.
“Peter always put the kids first in everything he did and that shines through in his legacy. I am very happy to see him being inducted into the Region 1 Hall of Fame,” said ENYYSA President Richard Christiano.