Written by Charles Lavine Thursday, 23 January 2014 13:20
Assemblyman Charles Lavine (D-Glen Cove) is reminding residents that it is important to keep a few simple tips in mind to protect against the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning; known as the ‘silent killer.”
During January, which has been designated Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month by the New York State Legislature Assemblyman Lavine is joining the Sustainability Institute at Molloy College in an educational campaign to inform county residents as to the dangers posed by carbon monoxide in homes and buildings.
Assemblyman Lavine is urging homeowners to get a professional home energy audit that includes a combustion safety test that will detect CO leaks at even very low levels. The state-wide program that provides audits at little or no cost to homeowners can be accessed at the Long Island Green Homes webside: http://www.longislandgreenhomes.org.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CO poisoning is the leading cause of unintentional poisoning and death in the United States. It is estimated that CO poisoning is responsible for 15,000 emergency department visits annually and 500 deaths each year.
“CO poisoning is totally preventable by taking some basic precautions to protect yourself and your family,” said Assemblyman Lavine. “Since even moderate levels can cause dizziness, headaches, mental confusion, nausea or fainting, it is vital that people understand what they need to do and what they should never do to ensure their home or business is safe from CO.”
A copy of the Carbon Monoxide Safety & Prevention brochure, which contains the dos and don’ts relating to safety and awareness, can be downloaded at the Sustainability Institute at Molloy College website.