Written by Paige McAtee, firstname.lastname@example.org Friday, 11 July 2014 00:00
As a charitable organization, the Meadowbrook Women’s Initiative (MWI) raises money throughout the year in order to help worthy charities continue to assist all those most in need.
To celebrate the end of its fiscal year, the MWI held its fifth annual charity presentation and installation luncheon at Temple Chaverim in Plainview on Wednesday, June 25.
Meadowbrook is a five-year-old organization with more than 600 members, led by president Barbara Goldstein.
“Our increased membership has enabled us to continue supporting Hofstra Medical School students, and today’s charities with a larger grant allocation than last year,” said Goldstein.
Every year the organization grows bigger and bigger and is able to give out more and more grant money. In the first year, the MWI gave out $20,000 in grants, as compared to the $50,000 in donations this year. Each year, MWI donates its biggest grant to Hofstra University Medical School. They choose two other worthy organizations to give grants to as well. The philanthropic organization announced its grant recipients, who were nominated and voted upon by the Philanthropy Committee. This year the MWI decided upon Services for the Underserved and The Morgan Center.
“We have a huge board and everybody is active,” said vice president of philanthropy June Stelboum. “It is an organization that is amazing because of all the work we do. It’s truly remarkable how much we accomplish.”
All grant recipients were present at the luncheon to accept the grants.
The MWI donates 40 percent of its grant money to Hofstra University Medical School, while the remaining 60 percent is divided up between the other charities.
Assisting in the installation of officers was Nassau County Legislator Judy Jacobs. Jacobs dismissed the old MWI officers and installed the new officers into their positions. Accepting the grant for Services for the Underserved was Program Director Beth Gabellini and Vice President of Veteran’s Division Bret Morash.
This organization offers support for veterans and their families in times of challenge. They provide housing, employment, and treatment programs for the veterans. Services for the Underserved helps the veterans get back on their feet while they are recovering from injuries received in the line of duty.
The Morgan Center assists pre-school age children with cancer in learning, socializing, and preparing for kindergarten. The center also helps the children and families cope with the various stresses of cancer.
Accepting the grant on behalf of The Morgan Center was President Tammy Serverino.
“The Morgan Center is a fun, lively, joyous place where the children come together,” she said.
With the grant money it received, The Morgan Center plans to build a second Morgan Center in Suffolk County. With offices in both Hicksville and Islip Terrace, the organization will be able to reach more children across all of Long Island.
Every year, Hofstra University Medical School uses its MWI grant to sponsor a scholarship for a summer intern. Without the grant, these students would not be able to have a medial experience, according to Vice President Alan Kelly.
In addition to Kelly, Assistant Vice President of Development and Alumni Affairs Meredith Celentano was in attendance to accept the donation.
Over the past five years, Hofstra University Medical School has received about $50,000 in grants from the MWI over those years.
“The money that is raised through MWI, comes to Hofstra University Medical School, and goes out annually to three to five students a year,” said Celentano. “The students go and practice in underserved areas that have high medical needs.”
In order to raise money for these grants, MWI holds multiple fundraisers throughout the entire year. From a book and author signing to a fashion show, the MWI is always working to raise as much money as possible.
“I suspect that we will be around for a long time, and I have hope that we will get around to every charity around Long Island,” said Stelboum.