Thursday, 05 December 2013 00:00
The Sinai Notable Speaker Series kicks off with acclaimed author, Pete Hamill and the Temple Sinai “Big Read.” The writer will visit Temple Sinai on Thursday, Dec. 5 at 7:30 p.m. to discuss his bestselling novel, Snow in August. Hamill’s visit is the culminating event of an exciting line up of temple-wide activities and discussions based around his book. Snow in August is set in post-World War-II Brooklyn, and explores the relationship between immigrant Orthodox Rabbi Judah Hirsch and Michael Devlin, an Irish Catholic boy. Events include a visit to the historic Eldridge Street Synagogue and Manhattan’s lower east side at 11 a.m. on Sunday, November 10 (cost: Adults: $25; Children 12 and under: $15); screening of the Snow in August film, co-sponsored by Friend of a Friend and Brotherhood, at 7 pm on Thursday, Nov. 21 (suggested contribution: Temple members: $5; non-members $10). There will be a Temple-wide discussion of the book on November 7 at 7:30 pm (free). For temple members, the cost in advance is $18; at the door $25. For non-members, cost is $25, for students, $10. Contact Temple Sinai of Roslyn, 425 Roslyn Rd., 516-621-6800. www.mysinai.org
Join Temple Sinai for a Chazak Shabbat Celebration 10–11:30 a.m. Chazak is an ongoing program for children 6–14, with developmental differences. See your child grow, learn, and thrive in a nurturing, inclusive environment. All programs are free of charge and integrate music, movement, and other forms of enrichment into the learning experience. Call 621-8016 to register and get additional information. Contact Temple Sinai of Roslyn, 425 Roslyn Rd., 516-621-6800. www.mysinai.org
Come to Wednesday Morning Mussar Study with Rabbi Andrew Gordon at 11 a.m. All are welcome. Contact Temple Sinai of Roslyn, 425 Roslyn Rd., 516-621-6800. www.mysinai.org
Another Temple Sinai Chazak Shabbat celebration will be held on Jan. 11, 2014 from 10–11:30 a.m. Call 621-8016 to register and get additional information. Contact Temple Sinai of Roslyn, 425 Roslyn Rd., 516-621-6800. www.mysinai.org
Join Rabbi Michael White at 7:30 p.m. for The Torah’s Timeless Wisdom. Contact Temple Sinai of Roslyn, 425 Roslyn Road, Roslyn Heights 516-621-6800. www.mysinai.org
Join Rabbi Michael White at 10 a.m. for The Torah’s Timeless Wisdom. Contact Temple Sinai of Roslyn, 425 Roslyn Road, Roslyn Heights 516-621-6800. www.mysinai.org
• Newplicate (supervised duplicate) Bridge at the Shelter Rock Jewish Center, 272 Shelter Rock Rd., Roslyn, every Monday from 9:30 a.m. to noon for bridge students, new players and social bridge players. Short lesson, and earn points in a fun, friendly atmosphere. For reservations call 917-658-5991. Open Duplicate Bridge Game at 7 p.m. every Wednesday. Refreshments served. Call 917-658-5991 for reservations.
• Bridge Game. A new ACBL sanctioned daytime bridge game will be held on Thursday afternoons at 12:30 p.m. at Shelter Rock Jewish Center, 272 Shelter Rock Rd., Roslyn. For info and reservations call 917-658-5991.
Village Of Roslyn Zoning Board of Appeals meets on the first Monday of every month at 8 p.m. at Village Hall, 1200 Old Northern Blvd., Roslyn.
Village Of Flower Hill Board meets on the first Monday of every month at 8 p.m. at the Village Hall, One Bonnie Heights Rd., Flower Hill.
Village Of Roslyn Estates Board of Trustees will hold its public meetings on the second Monday of each month at 7:30 p.m. at Village Hall, 25 The Tulips.
Village Of Roslyn Harbor Board of Trustees usually meets on the second Monday of every month at 7 p.m. at the Village Hall, 500 Motts Cove Rd. South, Roslyn Harbor.
Village Of East Hills Board meets on the third Monday of every month at 8 p.m. at the Village Hall on 209 Harbor Hill Rd., East Hills.
Village Of Roslyn Board of Trustees meets on the third Tuesday of every month at 8 p.m. at Village Hall, 1200 Old Northern Blvd., Roslyn.
Village Of Roslyn Historic District Board meets on the third Wednesday of every month at 8 p.m. at Village Hall, 1200 Old Northern Blvd., Roslyn.
Village Of Roslyn Planning Board meets on the second Thursday of every month at 8 p.m. at Village Hall, 1200 Old Northern Blvd., Roslyn.
Roslyn Water District meets on the first, second and third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. at 24 West Shore Rd.
Located at 75 Powerhouse Rd, Roslyn Heights. For more info about the following call 484-8185 or go to www.ChabadRoslyn.com:
• Persian Talmud Class. Study the fascinating logic and arguments of the 2000 year old Talmud which shaped Jewish law. Taught in Persian by Dr. Emil Korori. Every Monday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. No fee.
• Women’s Kabbalah Class. Join other women in exploring Kabbalah and Jewish Mysticism in an inspiring and practical way. Every Tuesday from 10:15 to 11:15 a.m. with Rabbi Yaakov Reiter. The course is free of charge and is open to the entire community. Prior knowledge not necessary.
• “Living Torah” Class. Study basic Torah from the beginning of Genesis with Shaul Calmenson, and discover its fascinating concepts and timeless lessons. Every Tuesday from 8 to 9 p.m. No fee.