Written by Debbie Wells, RLS Friday, 10 May 2013 00:00
The Roslyn Landmark Society hosted an evening lecture at the Atria of Roslyn on April 24. Over 50 people attended the lecture with historian Harrison Hunt who presented the history of Cedarmere from its construction in 1787 to the present. He also talked in detail about the accomplishments of its most famous owner, William Cullen Bryant.
William Cullen Bryant was a poet, newspaper editor and civic activist who achieved fame in the 19th century. Cedarmere is now a facility of the Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums, located on Bryant Avenue in Roslyn Harbor. Hunt’s program examined the evolution of the main house and its landscaping over the past two hundred years as well as the history of the Bryant estate’s many additional buildings, including the extraordinary Gothic Revival mill which was recently restored by the Roslyn Landmark Society and the Gerry Charitable Trust.
The presentation concluded with a look at the estate today and plans for its future by The Friends of Cedarmere. Linda Hunt asked for support and volunteers in helping to restore the gardens this spring. For more information on Roslyn Landmark Society and Friends of Cedarmere, visit their websites at www.roslynlandmarks.org and friendsofcedarmere.com.
Franklin Hill Perrell, RLS Executive Director, explained to the audience the importance of preservation in the Roslyn area and that Cedarmere is one of the finest architectural and historic treasures. There was also a display of a William Cullen Bryant painting portrait and sculpture bust lent for the event by Dr. Jay Tartell. These pieces of artwork enhanced the evening’s tribute to William Cullen Bryant.