Friday, 09 April 2010 00:00
The Postal Service offers services for last minute taxpayers on Thursday, April 15.
In the Long Island district, retail services, stamp sales and postmarking will be available until 9 p.m. at the Hicksville Post Office; until 7 p.m. at the Western Nassau Processing & Distribution Center, Garden City; until 6:30 p.m. at the Bohemia, Lynbrook, Farmingdale, Freeport and Westbury Post Offices, along with the Postal Store at Roosevelt Field Mall; and until 6 p.m. at Babylon, Baldwin, Bay Shore, Centereach, Glen Cove, Hempstead, Medford, Merrick and Riverhead Post Offices. Most other post offices close at 5 p.m.
It is important to note that Automated Postal Centers (APC) postmarks are not valid when filing tax returns.
The Postal Service suggests the following tax mailing tips:
• Make sure you have proper postage, especially if you have extra forms or schedules. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will not accept tax filings without postage or with insufficient postage. The IRS returns all tax filings with insufficient postage to the sender, who is then charged with late-payment penalties. It costs 44-cents for a one ounce letter and 17-cents for each additional ounce. One ounce is about four pages.
• If you use a non-IRS labeled envelope, make sure you have the proper IRS address. Also, put your return address in the upper left-hand corner.
• Mail early in the day if you can, so you can save yourself a trip to the late collection locations and avoid traffic and the last-minute rush.
• Don’t use an office postage meter. The IRS doesn’t accept private postmarks as proof of timely filing.
• If you are depositing a tax return in a blue post office collection box on April 15 be sure to mail it before the latest collection time posted on the box. Post Office and collection box location, hours, and pick-up time information is available at http://usps.whitepages.com/post_office.
• USe security of proof-of-mailing and proof-of-delivery of your tax returns — use certified mail service ($2.80) with a return receipt ($1.10 Electronic, $2.30 Mail), plus the applicable postage.
Please note, tax forms are no longer available at post offices. Check at local libraries or online at http://www.irs.gov/ (Federal forms) or http://www.tax.state.ny.us/forms/ (NYS forms).
For more information about post office hours and locations call 1 800 ASK-USPS or visit www.usps.com/ and click on Locate A Post Office.